Siri arrives on Apple TV
Apple TV will now feature Siri capabilities.
With expanded Siri facilities, including searching across even more apps, YouTube search, topic search and tuning right into more live channels, customers can get to their favourite content even faster.
“The future of TV is apps and Siri on Apple TV has changed the way we interact with our television and these expanded features will continue to deliver viewers what they want to watch even faster,” says Apple senior vice president of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue.
“There are over 6,000 apps to enjoy on your Apple TV including over 1,300 video channels, which are even more fun to watch with the new Siri features.”
Since the launch of Apple TV, Siri has gotten more powerful, now searching over 650,000 TV episodes and movies. Siri is available in even more countries with expanded capabilities.
The latest Apple TV just launched last spring, giving developers access to a modern platform like iOS but for the living room.
New tvOS APIs and tools available for developers include:
• ReplayKit to enable developers to record and live broadcast from their apps;
• PhotoKit to allow third-party app access to photos and videos in iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Shared Stream;
• HomeKit to create apps to control HomeKit devices from Apple TV;
• App badging on the Home screen, to make it easier for users to know something new for them is available inside an app; and,
• Game Center enhancements and support for up to four game controllers at a time.
Additional Apple TV Features and Updates
• iOS users can download the new Apple TV Remote app with touch navigation, Siri and game play support.
• Apple Music has an all-new design, bringing greater clarity and simplicity to every aspect of the experience. The Library, For You, Browse and Radio tabs have been completely redesigned to provide an even greater sense of place, and a Search tab has been added to make finding music even easier.
• Photos for Apple TV now supports the new Memories feature, making it easy to rediscover meaningful moments in a user’s photo library and share them on the big screen.
• While users love the bright and fresh Apple TV interface, some may prefer a darker background to fit a home theatre environment or darker rooms, so now users can select a dark background for Apple TV.
• Universal apps will now automatically download on Apple TV and show up on the Home screen when an app has been added to a user’s iOS device.
• When a keyboard appears on Apple TV, one will also appear on nearby iOS devices that are logged into the same iCloud account, making entering text even more convenient.